If you are interested in a bran muffin with a bit of extra flavor, try this sourdough bran muffin. It is packed with low-glycemic bran, and the fermentation process brings out more flavor, with just a hint of tang.
- Combine starter, bran, and flour in a medium bowl. The dough will be more dry than you would expect for muffins. Cover and place in a warm spot for 8 to 12 hours.
- Once fermentation time is up, preheat oven to 425°F and whisk together egg, butter, honey, salt, and spices in a small bowl.
- The dough will be quite stiff, and it may require breaking up with the back of a spoon or clean hands while performing the next step.
- Sprinkle baking soda over fermented dough and gradually stir it in along with liquid mixture, one third at a time, adding raisins during last third. Stir just until combined.
- Divide batter into 12 to 16 muffin cups and bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.