Fill your kitchen with the wonderful scents of fall with this delicious recipe. Pumpkin muffins are great for breakfast or snack, easy to pack in a lunch box or as an office snack.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup Sucanat or other whole sugar
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter or coconut oil (cooled)
- Combine the flour, buttermilk, and pumpkin puree together in a medium bowl. Cover and soak 12-24 hours in a warm location.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a muffin tin.
- In a small bowl mix together salt, baking soda, baking powder, Sucanat, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs; mix in butter.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the soaked dough and mix until about halfway combined. Sprinkle in the dry ingredients and mix in until completely combined.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake muffins 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.