Typically found in Europe, this is a simple cheese that is served creamy, a bit like a thin version of crème fraîche. It is easy to make and a very versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk over medium heat to 105°F.
- Transfer to glass container. Cool to 86ºF. Stir in the buttermilk or yogurt and mix well.
- Hold the mixture at 86°F for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, place the container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours. As it cools, the mixture will thicken.
- Once chilled, place the mixture in cheesecloth and drain 8 hours in the refrigerator or overnight.
- After the quark is drained, transfer back into a clean jar with lid. Use within two weeks.