In this recipe whole oranges or grapefruits and a bit of peel or zest come together to give great citrus flavor and fun carbonation.
- 2 quarts freshly fermented kombucha
- 1 organic orange or grapefruit
- Peel and break up the orange or grapefruit into segments. Divide the segments among 4 pint-size containers. Add one or two 1/2-inch orange peel segments to each bottle.
- Fill each container with kombucha, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace. Seal tightly.
- Place in a warm spot out of direct sunlight for 3 to 10 days. Burp the containers daily to release excess pressure and check for carbonation. If not sufficiently carbonated, reseal the containers, give them a quick shake, and continue to ferment for up to 10 days.