Yogurt is a delicious way to boost probiotic intake. It can be a meal by itself, or it can be a topping, side, or even an ingredient. Here are five ways to enhance the creamy flavor of yogurt.
Sweeten it up!
- Add a spoonful of jam or fresh fruit to replicate popular commercial yogurts. Start with 1 tablespoon per cup and adjust to taste.
- Cut up, mashed, or pureed fruit or fruit juice
- Jam, Jelly or marmalade
- Lemon curd
- Add Sugar, honey, maple syrup or any other sweetener to taste.
- Flavor extracts. Add 2-3 drops of extract per cup of yogurt and adjust to taste.
- Root beer
- Coffee flavoring syrups expand the flavoring possibilities and can be used as well.
- Herbs. Adding herbs to yogurt is an easy way to make an instant salad dressing, meat topping or vegetable dip. Combinations to try are
- Lemon and dill (for fish)
- Oregano and tomato (toss in a pasta salad)
- Basil and parmesan (serve with fresh or roasted summer vegetables)
- Salt and pepper (use plain or with cucumbers)
- Herbs de Provence (brighten up leftovers)
- Thyme and sage (perfect accompaniment to roast chicken)
- Chutney, salsas, and cultured vegetables. Adding yogurt to spicy or strong cultures can tone down the heat and add a creamy base. Yogurt has been used traditionally with spicy foods to cool them off and open up the flavors.