Sunflower seeds are great for sprouting, growing micro-greens, and more! They make a great lettuce substitute and are high in vitamins, minerals, and most importantly, flavor!
This post shows you exactly how to make sunflower sprouts at home!
Start Sprouting Seeds with Cultures For Health Today!
CHOOSING SUNFLOWER SEEDS FOR SPROUTING
The first and possibly most important step to sprouting sunflower seeds is to make sure that the seeds are sprout-able. Follow the guidelines below:
Sunflower Sprouts Guidelines:
- Look for raw sunflower seeds in airtight packages. Avoid bulk bins.
- The word “sproutable” may be printed on the package.
- Avoid roasted or toasted sunflower seeds.
- Sunflower seeds in the shell are better for growing microgreens, but raw seeds, both hulled and unhulled, work well for sunflower sprouts.
Instructions for Sprouting Sunflower Seeds
- Place ½ cup sunflower sprouting seeds in a quart jar. Fill with water, cover with a sprouting screen or mesh sprouting lid. Soak overnight.
- Drain all water off the seeds.
- Invert the jar over a bowl at an angle so that the seeds will drain while still allowing air to circulate.
- After 12 hours of draining, rinse and drain again.
- Repeat rinsing and draining twice daily.
- Tiny sprouts should begin to form in 12-18 hours. Sprouting is complete when you just see the sprout tail emerging.
- Drain the sprouts well.
- Enjoy your sunflower sprouts!
Sunflower Sprouts Quick Tip
Sunflower seed sprouts do not keep well. Use immediately, if possible, or cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for a few days, maximum.
Try Sprouting More Seeds
Making your own sunflower sprouts can be a lot of fun and can be used in tons of different recipes and dishes. So can other sprouts and Cultures for Health can help you with both!
We have the best selection of seed sprouting tools and packets to start sprouting your seeds from home. All of our products come with in-depth instructions to help you easily sprout seeds at home and we have the highest quality tools to use for it as well!