The nutritious, tangy, and delightfully flavored loaves of bread are reason enough to keep a sourdough culture in your kitchen. But there’s much more sourdough starter can be used for besides bread.
It has been said that the pioneers survived on sourdough wheat, most likely in the form of pancakes. While there's no longer a need to go to that extreme, pancakes are still a favorite for breakfast.
Prefer an overnight soak on your flour? Try these delicious pancake recipes:
- Flufflier Overnight Sourdough Pancakes
- Sourdough Pumpkin Pancakes
- Whole Grain Gluten-free Sourdough Pancakes
Or, if you’d like to skip the overnight step, go for these quick pancake recipes with great sourdough flavor:
- Egg-free Peanut Butter Sourdough Pancakes
- Savory Vegetable-Cheddar Sourdough Pancakes
- Gluten-free Sourdough Pancakes from Discarded Starter
2. WAFFLES AND OTHER BREAKFAST RECIPES
Almost everyone loves the convenience and flavor of tortillas. You can stuff them with just about anything, but the store-bought varieties often include unwanted additives, or have been sitting on the shelf for days or even weeks. Try these Long-fermented Whole Wheat Sourdough Tortillas as a fresh, healthy, homemade alternative.
Buttery, crunchy, and salty: everything you are looking for in a cracker. The homemade version is even better when made with your sourdough culture.
- Sourdough Bacon, Rosemary, and Cracked Peppercorn Crackers
- Seeded Rye Sourdough Crackers
- Whole Grain Gluten-free Sourdough Crackers
Many people aren’t aware that sourdough can lend itself to the sweet as well as the savory. The tang of sourdough can actually play up the sweet flavors often found in cakes and other sweets. Try our wide variety of sourdough dessert recipes, like these favorites:
- Sourdough Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Sourdough Applesauce Cake
- Gluten-free Sourdough Chocolate Cupcakes
- Sourdough Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Muffins make an excellent addition to breakfasts or can stand alone as a quick snack. Making them with sourdough can give you a tender muffin without the need for store-bought buttermilk. Begin with our basic recipes, adding your own flavor:
Or use a tried-and-true recipe from our staff:
- Sourdough Banana Muffins
- Gluten-free Sourdough Whole Grain Morning Glory Muffins
- Sourdough Oat Bran Muffins
- Gluten-free Sourdough Chocolate Chip Muffins
7. PIE CRUST
Your favorite pie crust can be made with the addition of sourdough starter to make it easier to digest in this sourdough pie crust recipe. Gluten-free? No worries, we have a Gluten-free Sourdough Pie Crust for your favorite pie, too!
8. MAIN DISH
What about family pizza night or your favorite pasta sauce? Sourdough won't let you down with new versions of your old favorites:
- Deep Dish Sourdough Pizza Crust
- Rustic Sourdough Noodles
- Sourdough Skillet Tamale Pie
- Sourdough Hushpuppies