What’s better than fresh home-baked bread? Fresh home-baked bread with aromatic herbs baked right in. Serve warm with cultured butter, or slice up for savory sandwiches.
- 3 cups spelt, kamut, or whole wheat flour
- 2 cups plain whole yogurt
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- Mix flour with yogurt and water in a large bowl; cover and soak in a warm place for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease and flour a 9x4-inch loaf pan
- Use a mixing spoon to ‘knead’ the mixture in the bowl. The dough will be too wet to knead by hand.
- Blend remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Add in increments to yogurt dough, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour dough mixture into loaf pan.
- Bake 90 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.