Whether you're avoiding dairy, or cannot consume it altogether, sometimes it's tricky to consume your favorite foods. That doesn't have to be the case with yogurt. We've tested our Vegan Yogurt Starter Culture with our homemade raw almond milk to bring you a recipe for vegan yogurt that will allow you to enjoy smooth, delicious yogurt, without the dairy.
- Measure 1 cup of almond milk and add pectin powder. Blend in blender until well combined. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, slowly heat the remaining almond milk, with the calcium water added, to 140ºF .
- Add reserved almond milk/pectin mixture. Return to 140ºF. Remove from heat.
- Cool to 110ºF. Sprinkle vegan yogurt starter over the milk and stir well.
- Pour into a clean 1-quart glass jar and cover with a coffee filter, secured with a rubber band, or pour into yogurt maker container and follow manufacturer's instructions for covering the containers.
- Incubate for 6-8 hours at 105º-112ºF in a yogurt maker or similar appliance. The longer the yogurt incubates, the tangier it will be.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
To make 2 quarts non-dairy yogurt, use 3-4 teaspoons pectin powder, and 3-4 teaspoons calcium water with 1 packet of Vegan Yogurt Starter.
*Each box of Pomona’s Universal Pectin includes pectin and a separate packet of monocalcium phosphate.
Ready to Learn More?