Adding sweet spices and apples to a basic bread transforms it into a treat for brunch or even dessert.
- 4 cups white flour, whole wheat flour, or combination
- 2 cups oats
- 2 1/4 cups yogurt (plus additional if needed)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Prior to baking, combine flour, oats, and yogurt. Cover the bowl and soak grains for 12 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans.
- Add remaining ingredients except apples and nuts to the flour mixture, and stir to combine. Do not over-mix.
- Add more yogurt to make it more like a batter than like a stiff dough, if necessary.
- Gently fold in apples and nuts.
- Pour batter into pans. Bake 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.