This zingy, fizzy, and slightly sweet water kefir is reminiscent of commercial lemon-lime soda. It is incredibly refreshing and requires only a quick squeeze from a couple of handy citrus fruits. This recipe will help you make the best lemon kefir possible!
Check out all of our Kefir products today!
- 3 1/2 cups water kefir
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Sucanat or white sugar (optional)
- Remove the water kefir grains from the finished water kefir, and pour it into a quart-size vessel.
- Juice the lemon and lime through a sieve to remove the seeds, then pour the juice into the water kefir.
- Move this juice to an airtight bottle.
- If your water kefir wasn’t very sweet after the first fermentation, add the sugar for extra carbonation.
- Swirl the bottles to distribute the juices and sugar. Leave tightly capped at room temperature for up to 72 hours, or until level of desired carbonation and sweetness is achieved.
- Store in the refrigerator. Open carefully in case of extreme carbonation and serve chilled.