- 4 cups Oat Milk
- 2 tsp. Agar
- 3 Tbs. Coconut Sugar (optional)
- 1.5 tsp. Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 1 packet Vegan Yogurt Starter
- Heat 3 ½ cups oat milk in a saucepan over high heat, stirring regularly, until it boils
- Place your agar in the remaining ½ cup oak milk. Whisk well and add to saucepan
- Be sure to whisk the milk constantly at this stage to avoid any lumps. Bring the oat milk back to a boil over high heat then reduce to medium and continue to boil for about 2-3 minutes whisking often.
- Keep at 190 degrees for at least 10 minutes using a thermometer
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sugar and vanilla (optional).
- Set aside and allow to cool to 110°F, this usually takes about an hour. For the best results use a thermometer to check the temperature. If you add the culture while the milk is too hot it will kill the starter, and if the milk is too cold the starter won’t activate. While waiting for the milk to cool turn on your yogurt maker to preheat the jars.
- Add the packet of vegan yogurt starter to milk mixture and once it reaches 110°F, mix well and divide into your yogurt jars and place into the yogurt maker (with the lids loose or off) for 7-9 hours. I often prepare the yogurt before bed so that it’s ready by morning.
- Once the yogurt is done culturing, put the lids on the containers and refrigerate immediately to stop the culture. It will thicken as it cools and will be ready to eat in about 4-6 hours.
- You can try mixing alternative milks such as oat with coconut, or oat with almond to create a more complex taste profile.
- I like adding sweeteners at the start and not after the yogurt is made as I find that they will mix more cohesively, although there are varying opinions on that.
- You may use a different thickener, but make sure to check out this article for the specific instructions on how to use it.
We all hold many chapters in our life that make up our life journey. My food journey is an exploration into what tastes good but ultimately what makes my body function at its optimum. What is your food journey? And what will you do with your vegan oat milk yogurt? Please do share!