The crisp, cool, clear days of fall gives just a hint of upcoming holidays, one of my favorite times of year. Local farmer’s markets and grocery stores are stocking their winter fruits such as fresh cranberries, pomegranates and citrus. Pairing seasonal fruit into cultured foods is a win/win and here is a recipe that will please guests of all ages. In addition this drink is great to have on hand for drop-in visitors. Place it in a flip top bottle and it makes a great hostess gift!
- 8 cups water kefir
- 1 cup cranberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1 orange zest and juice
- In a high-speed blender, blend water kefir with ¾ cup of cranberries, orange zest and juice for about 30-40 seconds
- Transfer the liquid into a bottle, add the remaining cranberries and seal the bottle firmly. Place at room temperature to ferment for 18-24 hours. Place the bottle in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before opening
- Strain mixture, pour into festive glasses and top with a few whole cranberries and a sprig of greenery such as basil or rosemary
- It is best served cold.
- If you don’t have a blender, you can finely chop the cranberries before adding them into your water kefir to assist with infusion.
- For added sweetness, you can add 1/8 teaspoon stevia liquid or powder
- You can substitute the cranberries for pomegranates for an alternative flavor or play with other flavor combinations
- For adults, use this punch as a mixer base and add an ounce of gin or vodka.
Cheers to you and yours as you mingle, meet and create memories during this holiday season!