Usually made with ice cream, you won’t notice that the extra calories are missing! And while it's a nutritional powerhouse when it comes to the probiotics from the kefir and the mineral content from the dates, the delicious flavor is all you'll need to keep coming back to this recipe. This makes a refreshing summer beverage, but it's also a great use of the delicious dates that become available around the holidays. Makes one 2.5 cup serving.
- 2 cups milk kefir or yogurt
- 5 dates, pitted
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (or to taste)
- ½ tsp. nutmeg (or to taste)
- ¼ cup walnuts or almonds
- 2-3 ice cubes (optional)
- 1 Tbs. cocoa powder (optional)
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Pour the shake into a glass.
- For an extra special presentation, sprinkle cinnamon on top
- This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or quadrupled. You’re only limited by the size of your blender!
- Other flavorful additions include banana, coconut flakes, or any of the sweet spices.