Making plant-based yogurt gets even easier with the Instant Pot!
- 1 packet Vegan Yogurt Starter
- 1 quart plant-based milk
- 2 tsp. Pomona’s pectin powder*
- 2 tsp. Pomona’s calcium water*, prepared according to package directions
- Measure 1 cup of oat milk and add pectin powder. Blend in blender until well combined. Set aside.
- Run the remaining 3 cups of oat milk through the “BOIL” phase under the “YOGURT” setting (hit the “YOGURT” button until it says “BOIL).”
- Add reserved oat milk/pectin mixture.
- Cool to 110ºF (life hack - stir the milk with a frozen water bottle). Sprinkle vegan yogurt starter over the milk and stir well.
- Hit the “YOGURT” button until it says 8 hours. Wait until cycle completes.
- Shake or stir and refrigerate. Yogurt will not thicken until after refrigeration time. Thickening may take up to 24 hours.
Vegan Yogurt Tips
- There are endless combinations of plant-based milks and thickeners to try – feel free to experiment!
- On that note, it may take a few tries to get your yogurt perfectly to your liking. You may need to try different plant-based milks, different thickeners, or play around with the amount of thickener you add. Discovering the perfect recipe is part of the fun!
- Soy milk tends to thicken on its own without a thickener
- If using canned coconut milk, skip the thickener. Your yogurt will separate when refrigerated but then you can stick it in the blender to combine, refrigerate again, and it will stay smooth and creamy.
- If your yogurt turns out too thin, add chia seeds to it to make chia pudding!