Nothing helps you beat the morning chill like a sweet, warm cup of amazake. Put the ingredients in your Instant Pot and touch a button or two the night before and you'll see how easy it is to make this delicious, traditional Japanese porridge! To make this recipe, you'll need an Instant Pot and our Brown Rice Koji .
- 1 cup Brown Rice Koji
- 1 cup plain brown rice
- 6 cups water, separated
- Rinse plain brown rice (NOT the koji rice!) to remove additional starch.
- Add plain brown rice (NOT koji rice) and 4 cups of water to your Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam valve to the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook (manual) at high pressure for 22 minutes.
- When it beeps to let you know that the cook time has finished, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes (just leave the Instant Pot alone).
- After the 10 minute natural release, carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position. I like to use the handle of a long spoon to do this. Wait while the rest of the steam escapes. Once the pin has dropped down, carefully open the Instant Pot lid.
- Add 2 cups cold water.
- Take temperature of rice in your Instant Pot. If above 130-135 degrees F, wait until it cools to that temperature (you can add a couple ice cubes to speed things along).
- Add koji rice once rice in Instant Pot reaches 130-135 degrees F.
- Sous vide the mixture for 10-13 hours - check on it every half hour or so starting at hour 10. Once it stops getting sweeter every half hour, it's ready! If you let it go too long, it can turn sour.
- Optional: blend your amazake in a blender for a smoother texture and add spices or other flavorings as desired.