Rejuvelac is a fermented drink made from sprouted wheat berries. The fermentation extracts most of the nutrients from the berries for a delicious, fresh tasting drink. The leftover berries don’t have much nutritional value but you can place them in compost to feed your garden.
- 1/2 cup wheat berries
- 4 cups filtered water
- Use a quart jar or other sprouting container to sprout the wheat berries using this basic method until just the tail appears, approximately 2-3 days.
- Place the sprouted wheat berries and the filtered water in a jar.
- Leave in a warm place for 24-48 hours. The liquid should get a little fizzy and turn cloudy. The liquid should taste clean and fresh with a hint of citrus.
- Pour off the liquid to save and place in the refrigerator. It will keep up to a week.
- Reuse the berries for a second batch, if desired, but only for 24 hours.