Do you love tacos but wish to cut back on your meat intake? These delicious, meatless tacos will have even the most avid meat eater asking for seconds! Feel free to adjust the seasonings and toppings to you and your family’s liking. This recipe is very versatile!
- 2 Tbs. olive or canola oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 8 oz. homemade tempeh
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
- 4-8 warmed taco shells, for serving
- 2 cups shredded lettuce, for serving
- 1 cup salsa, for serving
- 1 cup guacamole, for serving
- 1 cup shredded cheese, for serving (optional)
- Anything else!
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and salt, sauteing until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the tempeh, the seasonings, and water/ vegetable stock. Saute until the water has cooked off (this will result in more even flavor). Add more seasoning and salt to taste.
- Serve the warm tempeh taco filling with taco shells, lettuce, salsa, guacamole, and any other favorite taco toppings!