Hushpuppies are pure Southern comfort food. They go well with fried fish or seafood, but you may like them as a snack all by themselves. For a real treat add a cup of grated cheddar cheese along with the egg.
- 1-1/2 cups organic cornmeal or sprouted corn flour
- 1 cup fresh sourdough starter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. honey
- Fat for frying (coconut oil or lard are good choices)
- Mix cornmeal and sourdough starter in a large bowl. Cover loosely and let sit 12 hours or overnight at room temperature. If the mixture is too thick to stir add water, a Tbsp. at a time, just until you can stir it. When ready to cook, mix egg, onion, salt and honey into the sourdough mixture. Blend baking soda with 1 tsp. of water and stir in.
- Melt fat in a heavy cast-iron Dutch oven or deep fryer. It should be about 3 inches deep, so start with about 3 cups of fat. Heat to 390°F. Drop spoonfuls of batter into hot oil and fry 1 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the fat with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.