Made with both whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour, these buns are soft and just the right size for any burger.
- 2 cups fresh sourdough starter
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- ½ cup room temperature milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1½ cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for kneading
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, stir together starter, melted butter, milk, eggs, sea salt, and honey. Add flour, one cup at a time, while mixing vigorously with a wooden spoon or in a stand mixer.
- The dough may be quite wet still when mixed. Cover and ferment overnight on the counter.
- In the morning, punch down dough and turn out onto a well-floured surface. Knead for 8-10 minutes, adding flour as needed, until dough is soft and well-formed.
- Roll dough out to a ½-inch thickness on a floured surface. Cut out with a 3- or 4-inch biscuit cutter, English muffin ring, or canning ring. Lightly grease two baking sheets and fill with cut out dough. Mix scraps together after cutting and continue to cut until the dough is used up.
- Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm space to rise for 4-8 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and bake for 15-18 minutes or until they reach an internal temperature of 180-200ºF.
- Remove to cooling rack and cool completely before serving or slicing.