Soaking the flour in kefir gives it a bit of tang, breaks down the fiber present in the grain, and even lends a bit of lift due to the naturally present yeasts in kefir.
Use the simple base recipe to create a multitude of variations. Add fresh or dried fruit, tossed in flour so they don’t sink, and gently mix into the batter. Or add nuts or chocolate chips for something special.
- 3 cups whole-grain flour
- 2 cups milk kefir
- 2/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. melted butter
- The night before baking the muffins, combine the flour and kefir in a large bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix all other ingredients into flour-kefir mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups that have been buttered or lined with paper liners.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into center of a muffin.