A regular staple in the southern part of the United States, cornbread gets a twist on the traditional by using milk kefir.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup milk kefir
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp. butter, very soft
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter an 8-inch square pan or 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- Mix together the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the kefir, egg, and butter together until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and cool.