Indulge a chocolate craving with this rich bread. Soaking the flour in kefir breaks down phytic acid, making the nutrients in the flour more available. It also makes this bread extra moist and enjoyable.
- 1 cup milk kefir
- 1¾ cup flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup organic unsweetened cocoa
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Mix together flour and kefir. Cover and soak 12-16 hours at room temperature or 16-20 hours if refigerating.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease bottom only of 8”x4” or 9”x5” loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and butter, blend well.
- Add eggs and blend well. Add flour-kefir mixture, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips. Do not over-mix. Pour into greased pan.
- Bake 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool 15 minutes before removing from the pan and setting on a wire rack. Cool the bread completely before serving.