This delicious and probiotic-rich soup can be made spicy by adding hot Italian sausage in place of ground pork. It can also be served cold with sour cream and cheese sandwiches for a very cultured summer lunch.
- In a medium pot over high heat, boil beans in the chicken stock; skim.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer. Add garlic, pepper, and uncooked ground pork.
- Cover pot and simmer 15 minutes, or until sausage is cooked through and there is no pink. Season with sea salt and more pepper to taste.
- Uncover soup, turn off heat, and cool completely. When soup has cooled enough that it doesn't burn your finger, add the sauerkraut. (Cooling preserves the live bacteria in the kraut).
- Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.