Cultured beets make a delicious side dish to nearly any meal, and a nice way to add variety in winter time when beets are abundant.
- 10 medium or 3 large beets, cooked, skins removed, chopped or shredded
- 3/4 cup water
- One of the following: 1 Tbsp. salt OR 2 to 3 tsp. salt and 1/4 cup whey
- Dissolve the salt in water then add the whey (optional)
- Place the beets in the jar and pour the liquid over the beets. Ideally the beets should be submerged under the liquid. Ferment for 3 to 10 days at room temperature.
- Once the fermentation period is complete, the beets can be removed to a storage container if desired. Store cultured beets in the refrigerator or root cellar.