This is a great way to use up all of those zucchini and cucumbers in the garden. The jalapeño pepper and garlic give the relish a bit of bite, while the turmeric gives it a faint golden hue to balance out all of the green. Use a yellow summer squash in place of the zucchini for a beautiful color contrast. Or, if you have one vegetable in your garden and not the other, use all zucchini or all cucumber.
- 1-3/4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cucumber
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 1small onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. sea salt, to taste
- In a medium-size bowl combine all ingredients. Stir well to combine, and season with 1 Tbsp. of salt. Taste and add more salt if needed. The mixture should be flavorful with a hint of saltiness.
- Transfer relish to one quart jar or two pint jars, pouring any liquid that remains at the bottom of the bowl over the vegetables. Leave a 1-1/2-inch headspace.
- Pack vegetables down to allow brine to come above level of vegetables. If there is not enough brine to cover the vegetables by at least 1 inch, add just enough water to do so.
- Cover jars with lids and rings and airlock, if using. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 3 to 7 days, or longer, depending on how tangy you like it.
- If you are not using an airlock,burp the jars carefully ever day during the initial fermentation.
- After 3 to 7 days taste the relish. If it is to your liking you can transfer to cold storage.