You may have used chopped cherry tomatoes in a lacto-fermented salsa or relish, but if you haven’t tried fermenting whole cherry tomatoes, you are in for a real treat.
When whole cherry tomatoes are fermented they take on a fizz that many fermented foods are known for. After plucking one of these fermented tomatoes from a jar and putting it into your mouth, you will experience a fizzy popping sensation!
- Enough cherry tomatoes to fill a quart jar
- 2 Tbsp. whey
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- Filtered water to cover
- Fill a clean quart jar with cherry tomatoes.
- Add whey and salt, then cover with water, leaving 1 1/2 inches headspace. Swirl to combine; cover tightly.
- Ferment at room temperature for 3 to 4 days, burping daily to release gases.
- Transfer to cold storage until ready to eat.