Not everyone loves the flavor of olive oil, so here is a mayonnaise that uses a blend of two milder oils: sunflower and avocado. The addition of whey or vegetable starter culture adds a nice amount of probiotic to the finished product in addition to extending the refrigerated shelf life of the mayonnaise.
- 3 pastured egg yolks at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/2 cup expeller-pressed organic sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup expeller-pressed organic avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp. whey
- Place egg yolks in a blender container or deep bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, mustard powder, and whey or vegetable starter culture. Pulse blender briefly until mixed. If using a stick blender, blend just long enough to mix together.
- Measure sunflower and avocado oil together into a measuring cup or other vessel with a spout that pours easily. Slowly add oil to egg yolk mixture while blender is running on medium speed. It should take about 3 to 4 minutes to incorporate all the oil. Increase the speed on the blender slightly after you have incorporated about half of the oil.
- When all of the oil is mixed in and the mixture has thickened, remove from the blender and pour into a pint jar. Cap and leave at room temperature for 7 to 8 hours to ferment, then move to the refrigerator for storage.