Not only does this relish provide a zesty tang for sandwiches or burgers, it’s also very pretty!
- 3 medium purple onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. whole black peppercorns (optional)
- 1-2 tsp. sea salt
- Filtered water
- Place purple onions and peppercorns into a medium non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle with salt; stir and pound lightly with a wooden spoon. Cover bowl with a towel and allow onions to sit undisturbed for 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop salted onion mixture into two clean pint jars, leaving about 1 inch of space from the top of the jar. Press relish down with a wooden spoon to compact it and cause the juices to rise.
- Fill remaining space in the jars with filtered water, leaving 1 inch of headspace.
- Cover with an airlock fermentation lid or regular, closed tightly.
- Ferment away from drafts and direct sunlight for 4-5 days. Burp jars regularly and press the relish down into the liquid daily to keep onions submerged.
- Once the relish has become bubbly and fragrant, move the jars to cold storage.
This relish will keep sealed in the refrigerator for 6 to 7 weeks.