This chutney is a sweet treat with a shortened fermenting period. It is great for skeptical first-timers or those who aren’t yet accustomed to the wild tastes of fermented condiments.
- 3 large peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into quarters
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (any kind will work)
- 1/4 cup acid whey
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Pure water, as needed
- Chop the peeled peaches and toss into a medium-size bowl. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the water. Toss with a wooden spoon, and smash the mixture a little to make it juicy.
- Let them sit in the bowl on the counter, covered against insects, for about 10 minutes.
- Scoop the chutney into a clean quart jar and if the liquid does not cover the top of the chutney, stir in a little water until it is all covered. Seal the jar with an airlock lid.
- Sit the jar on the counter and let it ferment there for about 2 to 3 days, or until it is nice and bubbly. Take off the airlock lid, put on a regular lid and band, and place the chutney in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
This chutney will keep covered in the refrigerator for about 2 to 3 weeks.