This savory condiment will spice up any meat or fish!
- 3 or 4 large onions, peeled
- 4 red bell peppers
- Dried red pepper flakes
- Sea salt
- Filtered water
- 3 or 4 pint jars, sanitized and dried
- Chop onions very fine, or shred with cheese shredder. Seed and dice the bell peppers.
- In a large bowl, mix the onions and the bell peppers together. Add desired amount of red pepper flakes. Allow the bowl of onion mixture to sit undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes, to allow the juices to mix a bit.
- Pack the onion mixture into your jars, tightly.
- Add 1 teaspoon of sea salt per pint jar and fill each jar with water up to 1 inch below the rim. Use a plastic butter knife to release any large bubbles trapped in the sides of the jars.
- Cover with airlock lids or standard disc-and-band lids. Burp the jars regularly if using disc-and-band lids.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for 3 to 4 days, or until the mixture is bubbly and fragrant.
Eat immediately or store with a tight lid in the refrigerator or cold storage.