Try this delicious combination of so many of your summer garden vegetables. Fermented relishes make tasty side dishes at summer barbecues!
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 3-4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 3 cups fresh, washed corn kernels
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- Filtered room-temperature water
- Blanch tomatoes to remove peels, then cut into cubes. Finely dice onion, garlic, and cilantro.
- Mix together in a medium bowl. Add corn, pepper, and pepper flakes; sprinkle with salt and mix well. Use a wooden spoon or Cabbage Crusher to lightly press the ingredients to release the juices.
- Pour all the ingredients into a quart jar, pressing slightly to pack and fill the jar to 1 inch below the rim. Pour in water to cover the vegetables completely. If necessary, weigh them down under the brine to keep them submerged.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor is achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the relish is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage.