This is a great project for the end of summer when peaches are plentiful.
- 3 cups skinned peaches, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup pecans, chopped finely
- 1 cup sun-dried raisins
- 1 Tbsp. sugar, honey, maple syrup, or other sweetener
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- 2-3 unpeeled lemon wedges, diced (lacto-fermented lemons work really well in this recipe)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well to combine, then pound a bit to bring out the juices.
- Cover the bowl and let the mixture set for 20 to 30 minutes so the flavors can meld and the juices can develop.
- Pack the mixture into a clean quart jar, pressing with a wooden spoon to compact it and bring up the juices.
- If the liquid is insufficient to bring the level up to 1 inch below the rim of the jar, add filtered water.
- Cover the jar tightly with a lid or airlock and leave at room temperature away from drafts and direct sunlight for 48 to 72 hours.
- Transfer the chutney to cool storage, keeping it covered to prevent mold.