These sticks are a great snack for little hands, and can easily be bagged into lunchboxes, making them a hit for on-the-go households.
- 3 Tbsp. sea salt
- 4 cups filtered water
- 6 medium carrots, cut lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, slightly crushed
- 3 small sprigs dill
- Dissolve salt in water. Set aside
- Pack the sticks in a jar vertically, leaving 1-2 inches headspace. Slide the garlic cloves in against the side of the jar. Crush the dill slightly and place it on top of the carrot sticks in the jar.
- Pour the brine over the carrot sticks only coming up to 1 inch below the rim.
- Use a fermentation weight, if needed, to keep the carrots submerged completely.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the carrots are finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop as it ages.