- 3 or 4 apples, cored*
- 3 or 4 beets, peeled*
- 1 Tbsp. whole cloves OR 1/2 tsp. ground cloves*
- 1/2 tsp. fennel OR mustard seeds*
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whey
- Place apples and beets in a food processor or grate by hand. Toss them together until well combined.
- Add the fennel, cloves, salt and whey to the mixture and continue to toss until the spices are blended.
- Place the mixture in a mason jar and with a wooden spoon or mallet, press them down to encourage the fruit and vegetables to release their juices.
- Cover with a tight lid and place on counter for a minimum of 3, but no longer than 5 days. If your house is kept warm, you most likely will need less culturing time.
- Remove top with care and stir your relish. I prefer to leave it in shredded form but you can make it smooth in a food processor or blender.
*You can change out the fruits, vegetables and spices to whatever your heart desires. Another favorite of our household using pineapple, apple, lime and cilantro inspired by Sally Fallon’s Nourishing Traditions.
This is just one idea for getting some good bacteria into your body. There are so many more simple ways to sneak fermented foods into your diet.
Now get fermenting!