The addition of cauliflower to this popular salad adds an interesting taste and texture. If you are making this dish for a Christmas meal the addition of 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper makes it extra colorful and festive. By using homemade lacto-fermented mayonnaise, you turn this salad favorite into a probiotic-rich treat.
- 1/2 large bunch broccoli
- 1/2 large head cauliflower
- Pan of boiling water
- Large bowl of ice water
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup organic raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced finely
- 1/2 cup crispy sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup lacto-fermented mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. honey (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Break broccoli into flowerettes. Blanch briefly in boiling water, just until broccoli turns bright green, but no more than 1 minute. Plunge immediately into ice water until cool. Drain well. You may need to do this in several batches if your pan of boiling water won’t accommodate all the broccoli without crowding.
- Chop raw cauliflower and drained broccoli into small pieces. Place in a large bowl with chopped onion, raisins, and bacon.
- In a separate bowl mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over broccoli mixture and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 to 2 hours. This tastes best if served the same day it is made.