Kvass is a traditional beverage in many cultures. This beet kvass is a simple, easy-to-make, and inexpensive way to take in a cultured beverages.
- 2-3 beets, depending on size
- 4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 quarts filtered water
- Chop beets into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a half-gallon jar.
- Add salt; fill jar with water, leaving 1 inch headspace.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the kvass is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The kvass flavor will continue to develop as it ages.