Bubble tea is a sweet, delicious summer drink but the version you find in tea shops can be loaded with sugar and other unhealthy additions. When you make it yourself, you can control the sugar and flavor, and with the addition of kombucha or water kefir, you can make it probiotic! This tea is typically served with a special, thick straw, but you can eat the tapioca pearls with a spoon as well.
This recipe makes 2 servings, so you may want to multiply the recipe if you want to make more servings.
- 2 cups cold kombucha or water kefir
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup or other sweetener (optional)
- 1/2 cup dairy or non-dairy milk or cream
- 1/2 cup mango, pomegranate, or other juice
- 1 cup black tapioca pearls (found online or at an Asian grocery store)
- Bring a pot with at least 5 cups of water to a boil. Add black tapioca pearls and boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes more.
- While the tapioca pearls are cooking, combine the other ingredients in a pitcher or other large pitcher or other pouring vessel
- Once cooked, add the tapioca pearls to individual glasses
- Pour the kombucha mix into individual glasses and enjoy!