The trick to gluten-free grilled pizza is heavy duty aluminum foil, a bit of oil and some patience.
Begin by activating your starter if it has been refrigerated. This should be done the day before. Once your starter is ready, make up the recipe for the crust as follows:
- 2 cups gluten-free starter
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 1 generous Tbsp. chia seeds, ground
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. guar gum OR 1/2 Tbsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup water (adjust if necessary)
- Mix well and flatten with wet hands on well greased heavy duty foil. Top with sauce and favorite toppings. Let rise for 30 min to 1 hour.
- Heat BBQ to 450F. I start mine on medium high to preheat. Once it is hot, lower the heat to an indirect setting. Transfer pizza on a cutting board or cookie sheet. Slide pizza and foil onto grill grate.
- Cover and cook for 10 min. Slide pizza off foil directly onto grill. Cover, lower heat again and let cook another 5-10 minutes, or until toppings are done. Slide pizza onto cutting board or cookie sheet. Cool slightly, cut and enjoy!