This recipe is as wholesome as a muffin gets. Soured whole grain flours come together with carrots, nuts, raisins, and orange to create a delicious and hearty breakfast muffin.
- 1 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup milk or cultured milk
- 1/2 cup each sorghum flour, brown rice, and buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 cup (packed) fresh shredded carrots
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix sourdough starter, milk, and flours until combined into a stiff dough. Cover and allow to sour 6 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F. In a small bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in honey and melted butter. Stir in carrot shreds and orange zest.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon over the soured dough. Pour the egg-honey mixture over this and mix in gently.
- Add the walnuts and raisins and finish mixing everything together until well combined.
- Scoop the muffin batter into prepared muffin cups, buttered or papered. Fill them almost entirely full, dividing the batter among a dozen cups.
- Place muffin pan in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are set and a knife inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.