This pie crust can be made quickly, soured, and then patted directly into two 9-inch pie pans, without rolling. Or, you can pat in the bottom crust and roll out the top for a beautiful fruit pie.
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup millet flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup cold butter or lard, or a combination of the two
- 1/2 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup water, if needed
- Whisk together the potato starch, oat flour, millet flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in butter or lard using a pastry cutter or your hands. Mix in sourdough starter and add additional water, up to 1/4 cup, to achieve a dough that is not crumbly, mixing and kneading dough as you go. It may be more moist than wheat-based pie dough you are used to working with.
- Cover dough and place at cool room temperature for 8 or more hours. When ready to use, divide dough in two. Press bottom crust into pie pan using your fingers. Dust a work surface with potato starch or tapioca flour and roll top crust out, adding more flour as needed.
- Use in your favorite pie recipes.