Free of gluten and full of flavor, these muffins are wholesome and delicious. Spread them with butter and serve next to a pot of soup or as an accompaniment to eggs for breakfast.
- 1-1/2 cup millet flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup fresh brown rice sourdough starter
- 1 cup cultured milk
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. molasses
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 12 to 24 hours before you wish to bake the muffins whisk together flours in a medium bowl. Add sourdough starter and cultured milk and mix just until combined. Cover and place in a warm spot for 12 to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F and butter a 12-cup muffin tin. In a small bowl whisk together the cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate small bowl, beat eggs, then whisk in honey, molasses, and melted butter.
- Sprinkle the dry ingredients evenly over the sourdough batter. Now slowly pour in butter-egg-honey mixture with one hand while mixing with the other. Stir just until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
- Spoon batter up to the rim of the baking cups. Place tin in oven and bake at 375°F for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.