A light, fluffy muffin warm from the oven, this chocolate chip muffin will remind you of the white flour muffins of your childhood. Best served warm, these can be reheated gently at a low temperature in the oven the next day.
- 1 cup brown rice sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup milk or cultured dairy
- 1/2 cup each white rice, sorghum, and tapioca flours
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix sourdough starter, milk, flours, and flax seed until combined into a stiff dough. Cover and allow to sour 6 to 12 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and whisk in honey, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, baking soda, and salt over the soured dough. Pour the egg-honey mixture over this and mix in gently.
- Add the chocolate chips, and finish mixing everything together until well-combined.
- Divide the batter among twelve prepared muffin cups, filling them each nearly full.
- Place muffin tin in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the tops are set, the bottom has browned, and a knife inserted comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.