These waffles freeze well. Keep a supply in your freezer for quick weekday breakfasts. Just reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.
- 1 cup fresh, thick GF sourdough starter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup sprouted rice flour or gluten-free oat flour
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder (optional)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. water
- Mix sourdough starter, 3/4 cup water, and rice or oat flour together and cover loosely. Let sit at room temperature overnight. Mixture will be very thick and bubbly in the morning.
- In the morning add maple syrup, baking powder (if using), salt, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla to the starter mixture.
- Stir together until thoroughly combined. Dissolve baking soda in thetsp. of water and stir into batter. Do not stir any more at this point. Ladle onto a hot waffle iron that has been brushed with coconut oil and cook to desired crispness.