Lightly sweetened and studded with spice and pumpkin puree, these scones are perfect for fall. Soaking them in buttermilk gives them a nutritional boost by breaking down the harder-to-digest grains before baking.
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or granulated sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- Cut butter into flour. Mix in buttermilk and pumpkin puree, kneading just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Cover and leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the salt, coconut sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and baking powder in a small bowl with a fork. Sprinkle mixture over the soaked dough and knead for just a minute over a floured surface.
- Pat the dough out into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut into 8 triangles (like a pizza) and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.