A fast, easy and delicious weeknight supper that uses tangy feta to complement the spinach and chicken flavors. If breadcrumbs aren't available, sprinkle the buttered chicken breasts with parmesan and freshly ground pepper instead.
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp/ minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large cookie sheet. Butterfly chicken breasts and place on greased cookie sheet.
- In a medium-sized frying pan, heat oil. When oil pops when flicked with water, add garlic and spinach; sauté until just soft.
- Add feta. Turn off heat and stir feta-spinach mixture until it just starts to get creamy.
- Begin spooning the hot feta-spinach mixture into half of the butterflied chicken breasts. Fold chicken breast back over the filling. Repeat with all the chicken breasts using all the filling.
- Pour melted butter over the filled chicken breasts turning breasts once.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs into a wide bowl and coat each filled, buttered chicken breast, rolling breast once or twice before placing back onto the cookie sheet.
- Place chicken into the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the largest breast reads 160°F.
- Cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with green salad and potatoes.
*For a grain-free dish, substitute almond meal for the breadcrumbs.