Potato Cheese is a fun and different soft cheese that is easy to flavor with nearly anything you like and great for spreading on crackers or bread. This recipe is an interesting one for using up extra milk kefir, too.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, cubed, and cooked until soft
- 2 cups milk kefir
- 1 Tbsp. sea salt
- Mix ingredients well with a potato masher or egg beater.
- Place in a covered bowl in a warm place away from drafts and direct sunlight and leave for 2 days.
- Place the potato mixture into a clean colander lined with cheesecloth. Tie the ends of the cheesecloth together to create a draining sack, and hang on a wooden spoon suspended over a large bowl or sink. Drain until it stops dripping.
- Transfer the potato cheese to a clean, covered container. Flavor as desired with pepper, herbs, or fruit, and store in the refrigerator.