Ginger Water Kefir Kit
8 hand-picked ingredients and supplies
Looking for a refreshing soda replacement with a kick? Try our Ginger Water Kefir Kit! In just a few minutes each day you can prepare a sweet, fermented drink that will tickle your taste buds and make your gut happy. This kit includes our heirloom Water Kefir Grains that will last forever (with the right care) plus flavorings and supplies for bottling your water kefir. Just add kitchen staples.
TOTAL TIME: 3 to 4 days to activate + 1 to 2 days per batch
ACTIVE TIME: 10 minutes per batch
How Much Can I Make With This Kit?
- Enough ginger for 4 to 10 bottles depending on how much ginger is used per bottle.
- Water Kefir Grains to make water kefir indefinitely!
Hand-Picked Ingredients & Supplies
Glass Quart-Sized Jar, Organic Cane Sugar, Water (free of chlorines and fluorides), Funnel for Bottling
In This Kit:
Water Kefir Grains are the key ingredient in making the fizzy, fermented drink known as water kefir. When added to sugar water, fruit juice, or coconut water and let to sit on your counter these grains produce a sweet, carbonated beverage your whole family can enjoy!
- Culturing Temperature: 68° - 85°F
- Culturing Time: 1 to 2 days per batch
- Usage: Use 1 packet with up to 2 quarts of water.
- Ingredients: Organic sugar, live active cultures.
- Allergen Information: Manufactured in a facility that also processes products containing soy and dairy | Non-GMO | Gluten-free
- Storage: Shelf stable. Freezer storage is not recommended.
- Care: With the proper care, this culture can be used indefinitely. Culture away from potential contaminants (trash cans, other foods, etc.) with correct ingredients and ratios.
This fine-weave butter muslin makes a great jar cover, keeping away unwanted critters and protecting your water kefir as it cultures. Cut it to fit the size of your jar and re-use over and over with water kefir batches.
- 1 square yard (91 cm x 91 cm)
- 100% unbleached cotton
Water kefir cultures best at room temperature. Too cold a temperature and your grains may get sluggish. This stick-on thermometer is a hassle-free way to keep an eye on the temperature of your culturing water kefir. Just adhere to your glass jar and you're ready to go!
- Measures in both Fahrenheit and Celcius
- Range: 58° - 88°F (14° - 31°C)
- Material: Adhesive Tape: Double-Coated Adhesive Tape | Covering Film: Polyester 5 mil stock | Color Change Material: Non toxic mixture of liquid crystal esters
- Shelf Life: 12 months when stored at room temperature. Can last up to several years if stored and used in proper conditions such as being stored at room temp, kept away from UV light, and not exposed to moisture and solvents.
- Accuracy: - 30 to 59°C ±1°C | 60 to 89°C ±2°C | 90 to 120°C ±3°C | 75µ
You'll need this strainer when transferring your Water Kefir Grains from batch to batch or straining flavorings. It also serves as a good measuring tool. When your grains start to outgrow the strainer it's time to pass some along to a friend!
- Country of Origin: Italy
- Materials: BPA-free PP plastic handle & nylon mesh strainer
- Care: Dishwasher safe
- Dimensions: 2.5 inches |Holds about 1/4 cup
Bottling water kefir is a great way to add extra fizz to your fermented drink, but sticky messes and shards of glass are not fun. That's why strong, sturdy bottles are so important for bottling. These swing-top bottles have a narrow neck that's ideal for withstanding the pressure that can build up from fermentation gases.
- Volume: 500 ml (16.9 oz.)
- Swing-top design creates an instant airtight seal
- Kit includes 2 bottles
This organic crystallized ginger adds a kick to finished water kefir. We include enough for you to make 4 to 10 bottles of ginger water kefir. Can you say homemade ginger-ale?
- 4 oz. bag
- Ingredients: Organic Ginger And Organic Raw Sugar
- Use 2 to 5 tsp. (minced) per bottle
Looking for a fizzy ginger treat? Adding a extra sugar to your bottle before adding your finished water kefir gives the live cultures a little something extra to feast on. We include 6 packets in this kit. Use 1 per bottle or a little more for extra sweetness and fizz!
- Certified USDA Organic
- Fair Trade
- Evaporated Cane Juice
Label your culturing or bottled water kefir with these wooden mason jar tags to add a special touch! Write directly on them or paint with chalkboard paint to use them over and over again!
- Bag of 8 Tags
- Twine included
- Country of Origin: China
Tips & Tricks:
THE JAR: We recommend using a glass jar for making water kefir. You will need one large enough to hold one quart of liquid.
THE SUGAR: Plain white cane sugar, with no added ingredients, works best for making water kefir. Stick to this when getting started to keep your grains healthy. (If you want to try other sugars, wait a few weeks, and understand which sugars are safe to use with your grains.)
THE WATER: Water kefir cultures best with water that is as free from contaminants as possible. We suggest using water free from chlorine and fluoride. You can get this by:
(1) Filtering water at home (just check your filter to make sure it removes chlorines and fluorides)
(2) Purchasing bottled spring water in a jug from a grocery store (just check the label, make sure there aren't electrolytes or other additives in it)
WANT MORE INFO? Choosing Water for Making Water Kefir
Watch our How-To Video to learn how to activate the Water Kefir Grains, step by step!
Watch our How-To Video to learn how to make regular batches of water kefir, step by step!
Your Water Kefir Grains should last forever if you take care of them. Here are a few ways to keep them happy and healthy:
- Be patient and give your grains time to wake up and adjust to their new surroundings.
- Keep your grains in a warm spot: 68°-85°F
- Keep your grains away from possible contaminants like trash cans or other ferments.
- Give them fresh sugar water every 24 to 48 hours or sooner (every 24 to 36 hours) on warmer days (above 85°F).
- Keep your grains out of the refrigerator if you can. Learn how to safely take a break from making water kefir.
Bottling water kefir helps make it fizzy. Cultures present in finished water kefir will continue to feed on any sugar present. When water kefir is put in an airtight bottle, fermentation gasses from the water kefir can't escape, making the drink even fizzier. Here are some tips for the best bottling experience.
- Add a packet of sugar to the bottle for something extra for the cultures to feast on.
- Bottle your finished water for 2 to 7 days, depending on how warm your home is.
- You can check how bubbly your water kefir is by gently tipping your bottle. Do this after a day or so.
- If you see bubbles swarming to the top, burp your bottles every 24 hours or so to release some pressure.
- Moving the water kefir to the fridge will stop the fermentation, so wait until you see some bubbles when tilting the bottle to move it to the fridge.
- To minimize any mess while opening, open the bottles over a sink. Place a towel over the top of the bottle and apply downward pressure on the cap while opening.