Specially-formulated freeze-dried culture blend for creating Feta cheese at home! Feta makes a great addition to salads or entrees!
- Each box contains 8 packets of direct-set starter culture - rennet not included.
- Use 1 packet with 1-4 quarts of goat milk - other milk types can be used as well!
- Cultures at room temperature, 72º-77ºF, no appliance required.
- Avoid using ultra-pasteurized or UHT milk.
- Direct-set (single-use) culture, no maintenance required.
- Instructions for making feta cheese are included with your starter and may be found here.
- Having trouble making feta cheese? Browse our Expert Advice Articles on Cheesemaking or contact us for assistance!
Feta Cheese Starter Culture Ingredients
- Lactic Bacteria ((LL) Lactoccocus lactis subsp. Lactis, (LC) Lactoccocus lactis subsp. Cremoris, (ST) Streptococcus thermophilus, (LB) Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp bulgaricus, (LH) Lactobacillus helveticus)
- Please note that rennet is NOT included with this starter culture and needs to be purchased separately.
Feta Cheese Starter Culture Allergen Information
- Manufactured in a facility that processes products containing soy and dairy.
Feta Cheese Starter Culture Storage Information
Store in refrigerator or freezer.
What is a Direct-Set Culture?
Direct-Set cultures are a one-time-use culture, they cannot be recultured (i.e. perpetuated beyond the single batch). Direct-Set cultures are often preferred by cheese makers as they require no maintenance or care. Simply keep the packet in the freezer and remove the portion for your recipe when it's time to make cheese. Most Direct-Set cultures contain multiple doses to inoculate multiple batches.
Additional Details About the Feta Cheese Starter Culture
This is a medium-fast to fast acidifying culture with no gas production (citrate fermentation). Due to the addition of L. bulgaricus and L. helveticus, it results in a higher proteolytic activity which improves taste and produces a creamy texture.
Actual product may differ from image shown above.