This deliciously spicy, zingy applesauce is a breeze to make!
- 4 medium apples (preferably sweet red apples, but yellow or pink apples will work)
- 1/4 cup sugar, any type
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup whey
- Peel, core, and chop apples into small chunks. Place into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is a chunky puree.
- Pour the pureed apples into a medium-size bowl and add all of the remaining ingredients, stirring them in well with a wooden spoon.
- Scoop the mixture into a sanitized quart jar with an airlock fermenting lid. Scrape down the sides and wipe the rim of the jar with a clean towel before covering the applesauce with the lid.
- Leave to ferment on the counter away from direct sunlight and drafts for 3 to 4 days, or until it tastes good to you. Replace the airlock lid with a standard jar lid and put the sauce into the refrigerator until ready to use.
Keeps covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.