This deliciously spicy, zingy applesauce is a breeze to make!
- 4 medium apples
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup whey or water kefir
- Peel, core, and chop apples into small chunks. Place into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is a chunky puree.
- Pour the pureed apples into a medium-size bowl and add all of the remaining ingredients, stirring them in well with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to a quart jar, leaving at least an inch of headspace.
- Cover the jar with a tight lid, airlock lid, or coffee filter secured with a rubber band.
- Culture at room temperature (60-70°F is preferred) until desired flavor and texture are achieved, about 1-3 days. If using a tight lid, burp daily to release excess pressure.
- Once the applesauce is finished, put a tight lid on the jar and move to cold storage. The flavor will continue to develop as it ages.
Keeps covered in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
Ready for more cultured fruit?